The Vanguard has a new home, please update your bookmarks to davisvanguard.org

Monday, November 05, 2007

Editorial: Vanguard Election Choices

The Vanguard is not making formal endorsements for the school board race. However, it is supporting the Yes Position on Both Measure P and Measure Q. We do not think it is our place to tell voters which candidate to vote for. Instead what we have done for our election coverage is we have allowed each of the school board candidates to have 250 words. In those 250 words the candidate can make their own pitch and tell the citizens of Davis why they are the best candidate and deserving of the public's vote.

Measure Q and Measure P have both opted to stand by their previous commentaries and articles which will be linked at the end of the article.

Individuals are encouraged to make brief endorsements of the candidates in the comment section. Ordinary rules of conduct apply however to be honest, anonymous endorsements will not be taken seriously.

Stayed tuned to our election coverage, we'll have a special noon story on the campaign and then tomorrow night will be our live coverage from the County Elections Office.

School Board Endorsements

Susan Lovenburg
By now, most are familiar with my background and experience. If not, please visit my website at www.SusanLovenburg.org. In addition to descriptions of both, you will find my written replies to the many questions posed at forums, and letters from others written in support of my candidacy.

Our District is facing major challenges in the immediate future. The budget is not in balance, with ongoing income not sufficient to cover ongoing expenses. This, combined with the decline in enrollment we’re experiencing, will necessitate budget cuts in the coming months. Negotiations with the Davis Teachers’ Association are ongoing.

Into this mix, we must factor closing Valley Oak as a K-6 campus, with the subsequent relocation of GATE classes and redrawing of District boundaries that requires, as well as consideration of the petition for a Valley Oak Charter School. All this, as we welcome a new Superintendent.

It is imperative that new Board members get up to speed quickly. As a fully engaged parent volunteer with ten years of service in Davis schools, I have the relevant experience. As a candidate, I have increased my knowledge through dialogue with administrators, teachers, classified staff, students, parents, and community leaders. I have considered how we meet the challenges ahead together.

I have a vision for this District that includes sound financial management and student-centered decision making. I have demonstrated my willingness to devote the time and focus it takes to do this job well.

I offer these qualities in service to the community.
Bob Schelen
I bring to the School Board the following:
  • Budget Experience for tough times
  • A pro-active K-12 mental health program.
  • Closing the Ethnic Achievement Gap
I have hands-on budget experience at City, County and State levels, including education budgets for the State of California. We face daunting financial times, that’s why I’d like to see the district use zero-based budgeting (yearly justification for programs).

There is state funding for a pro-active K-12 mental health program that has mental health oversight, while keeping local control. The program should reach students at all levels including over-achievers, at risk individuals, special education students, and kids who are caught in the middle. If kids have less stress in school, they stay in school, learn more, and can get better jobs.

I’d like to see Davis take a national lead in reducing the Ethnic Achievement Gap. Overall, Asian and Caucasian students grade-out better than African-American and Latino students. We should bring the success of our GATE and Spanish Immersion programs to our “forgotten students.” We need to immediately implement the Achievement Gap Task Force Recommendations. We need to hire more diverse faculty and staff, and give parity to Career Technical Education.

In that light, I fully and enthusiastically support the Valley Oak Charter.

Regarding Planned Parenthood’s questionnaire – voters have a right to know where I stand on issues.
  • Protecting rights starts at the school board.
  • Age –Appropriate comprehensive sex education works.
I hope I’ve earned your vote.
Joe Spector
Of the many forums that I have spoken at during the last few months, the Diversity Forum stands out in my mind. I say this, because I spent more time thinking about the forum afterwards, than before. The forum really pressed us to think about what we, as a city and school district, stand for. I left, reflecting on how far we are from giving all students access to education and opportunity.

I support the expansion of magnet schools, k-12, with emphasis on career/technology. This would give access to ALL students. I recommend a plan of intensive language development instruction, mentoring, and expanded summer school, to help address the achievement gap.

I've worked in education for over 25 years.I've advocated for students and teachers throughout that time, as a teacher and special education/school psychologist. In this campaign, I've pressed to bring ideas about students and teachers into the public forums. I've achieved moderate success on this count (but, take a look at the frequency of the words "students" and "teachers" in the the forums and other public discussions....)

Which, brings me to the issue of the Valley Oak Charter. I have expressed support for the Charter, from the start. As the process has evolved, it has grown from quiet discussions among a small group of teachers and parents, to the biggest campaign issue. Having spoken to dozens of folks about this, I have come to believe that the Valley Oak Charter represents what we stand for in Davis, and who we will stand up for.

My thanks to the Vanguard, to the Valley Oak teachers, parents, and students, and to other Valley Oak Charter supporters, who have guided us on this path............Joe Spector
Richard Harris
With many tough decisions ahead, the Davis School Board needs proven leadership. I’ll bring a parent’s perspective and 30 years of government experience to the challenge. I’d appreciate your vote.

I’m a parent representative on the School Site Council at Pioneer Elementary where our two children attend fifth grade. I’ve written a column for the Davis Enterprise the past two years, speaking my mind about community issues but taking the time to listen too.

We need a school board that’s fiscally responsible and a school district that’s managed professionally. I’ll make those my priorities because I want every child to have the opportunity to reach his or her full potential. Through sound fiscal management, innovation and community partnerships we can achieve great things for our children and our schools.

I’ve also proposed a Green Schools Initiative to save energy, save money and show leadership on climate change. I support Measure Q to fund vital education programs and Measure P to preserve library services.

I’m proud to be endorsed by hundreds of Davis parents, many local leaders and top state educators, Delaine Eastin and Jack O’Connell, the former and present State Superintendents of Public Instruction.

I'm pro-choice and once served on the Board of Directors of the Yolo County Planned Parenthood affiliate.

Thank you for your consideration.
Library and School Parcel Taxes

Measure P


Vanguard Editorial on Measure P from August

Vanguard Interview with Helen Thomson and Mary Stephens

Measure Q


Guest Commentary by School Board Members Sheila Allen and Gina Daleiden

Vanguard Interview with Gina Daleiden and Interim Superintendent Richard Whitmore

Stay tuned to the Vanguard for continuing election coverage.

---Doug Paul Davis reporting