The Vanguard has a new home, please update your bookmarks to davisvanguard.org

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunday Evening Briefs

Well Wishes to Kingsley Melton

I wanted to send out well wishes to Kingsley Melton who was seriously burned down in San Diego on his way to a winter vacation. Kingsley is the son of public defender Barry Melton and active in politics and the community himself.

Davis Enterprise Poll on Iraq

I was looking the latest "poll" in the Davis Enterprise. I haven't taken their polls very seriously since I saw the manipulation that occurred with the one last July pertaining to the Human Relations Commission. Assistant Publisher and Editor Debbie Davis was informed of this manipulation, she acknowledged problems with the polls, and yet the poll results were still published in the paper with no explanation.

Nevertheless this one was somewhat interesting.

This question is:
"Do you think President Bush's plan to increase U.S. forces in Iraq will help bring a quicker resolution to the conflict?"
I was thinking about this, I ended up voting "no." But in honesty I think the answer is yes, but in the opposite direction that the President hopes. I think it will speed up the ending unfortunately because it will place more of our brave troops in harms way. The Iraqi security forces added 70,000 or so troops to Baghdad in late June. July became the largest month casualty-wise in Iraq. Why? Because they put some many people in harms way. And I fear this is what is going to happen now. So I'd like to vote yes, because I think that would be the straw that ends this war. But I couldn't in good conscience, because most people would interpret it the opposite way.

Regardless, it is nice to see the Democrats at least verbally applying some resistance to this new plan.

KDVS Broadcast

I wanted to thank Richard Estes and Ron Glick for having me on their show on KDVS "Speaking in Tongues." We had a great conversation mainly on the Junior High School harassment story, the Buzayan story, and the Khalid Berny story.

If you would like to hear that broadcast click on:

MP3 Stream (56kbps, dial up)
MP3 Stream (128kbps, dial up)

Make sure you select the top tab which should be for the January 5, 2007 broadcast.

Senior Citizens Commission Meeting

While I am not completely certain what this item is about, I was directed to the Senior Citizens Commission agenda.

Item D under new business reads: "Review and discuss information related to the Internet blog" Vanguard"

What they will be discussing, we shall find out.

---Doug Paul Davis reporting