The Vanguard has a new home, please update your bookmarks to davisvanguard.org

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The People's Vanguard of Davis Gets Mentioned at the Board of Supervisors Meeting

Matt Rexroad informed me yesterday that The People's Vanguard of Davis was quoted by Yolo County Supervisor Helen Thomson during the debate on supervisor's salary increase. Last week, I wrote a blog that defended a pay increase for the County Supervisors.

Rexroad writes about The People's Vanguard of Davis in his blog: Rexroad Blog

Rexroad writes: "The folks at The People's Vanguard of Davis (although I disagree with them often) make some good points. They are an alternate media source that I look at most every day."

In many ways, Rexroad and I are very much on opposite sides of the fence politically. There will be times during the course of his tenure, when he will hate me with a passion and curse the ground I walk on. Or at least I hope. But I think he brings up an issue that I think we both agree on wholeheartedly. The need for alternative media. The express need to be able to give people access to information that they cannot get at conventional sources.

I founded this blog several months ago because of the frustration that I felt stemming from the June Primary election in Davis and the disbanding of the Human Relations Commission. I founded it because I felt like we, the progressive left of Davis, did not have a voice. Between the Davis Enterprise as a guardian and gatekeeper of information and Bob Dunning who slammed the progressives every chance he got, I felt like there was no way to get the message out to the public.

The second part of this blog that I think is equally important is that it is interactive. If you disagree with Dunning or disagree with the Enterprise, you can write one letter to the editor that is limited to 350 words. If you disagree with me, you can log on and write to your heart's content. You can question where I got the information. You can correct me when I am wrong. I can correct you when I am not. We have a place where we might not always agree, but we can have dialogue. And we may at the end of the day, understand each other a little better or at least agree to disagree.

When I started this blog, I never imagined it would become so popular and be as effective as it has. Hopefully we can continue to make an impact on Davis and hopefully that impact will be positive.

---Doug Paul Davis reporting